Re: alfa-digest V8 #386 - 2 liter timing chain question

       I agree with your statements.  I was going to write and say to make
sure to clamp the cylinder liners in place, but you have that covered.  Just
do not allow the engine to turn over at all until you get the clamps in place.
       Go ahead and pull the distributor.  It will be no harder to put back
into time that the camshafts will.  In fact, in turning the engine, you might
get everything back 180 degrees out of time from what it is now.  At that
point you would need to either retime the distributor or move the plug wires
180 degrees to match.
       I generally attach baling wire to the ends of the upper timing chain
so I can fish the ends back out of the front cover later.  And make sure you
do not drop the links for the timing chain down the front cover when putting
it back together.  Cover the hole under the timing chain with shop towels
when removing / replacing the link.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City