re: 2L timing chain question

Hi All,

Tony Sims asked about rotating the bottom end of a 4C motor without the top connected.

Greg Hermann responded in the usual manner saying that rotation of the crank (hence movement of the pistons vertically) will be enough to upset the liners and necessitate replacement of the o-rings.

Now I have two 1750 motors apart at the moment and I though about removing the liners and pistons to clean out the crud that's inside the water jacket.  I have read all the manuals, and read the parts like Greg's post about the liners separating from the block, so I expected that with a little encouragement, they'd pop right out.  No way!  The liners are stuck big time, so there must be a trick to this.  Tuesday night, Alfa club committee meeting at a place just across the road from a reputable Alfa mechanic, I go in to fill some time before the meeting, start talking about liners, how do you get them out etc.?  No trick, just BFI (that's Brute Force and Ignorance) and a tool made to sit in the centre of the liner so as to give you something to hit with a hammer.  Now I figure if that's how much force I need to use to get the buggers out, what's the use of the liner retaining clamps?

Anyone out there had a four cylinder liner separate from the block in this manner?  (Or are we all just goody-goodies and use the retainers all the time?)  Apparently the six cylinder (V6, not 2600) motors are susceptible to liner separation.

Cheers
Stuart Thomson