Using rubbing compounds

I'm attempting to "rub out" an oxidized Fiat.  It's
metallic medium green and I'm using 3M Perfect-It II
Paste Rubbing Compound - Fine Cut.  The finish does
look better for a few minutes but after the oils
either soak in or dry it again looks dull again.  Will
this go away after waxing or am I on the wrong track?
Also the results are uneven for each section that I
work on.  Does anyone have advice or know of a good
source of info on the subject on the web?

Thanks,
Jerry, San Francisco
'91 164S
'81 Fiat Brava (2 of them!)