GTV gas milage

I am seeking a little help from knowlegible digesters.

The milage I am getting on my "74 GTV dropped dramatically and
suddenly last year (by 30-40 percent). I wasn't paying attention
so I don't remember any specific event preceeding this. But I had
recently had the engine rebuilt and later replaced the stock
distributor with a used Ricambi Plex. I let all this slide since a
mandatory smog check was coming up.

Well, the car passed the smogging process with ease, but the
milage is just as poor (16-18 mpg mixed driving). My mechanic
likes the car to run just a little rich, so he reset the mixture
after the test. Can this account for the problem or should I be
looking elsewhere?

Thanks in advance

Dave
74 GTV