Re: wheel restoration

To restore my Spiders wheels, the first step was to
glass beed blast the wheels. Because the wheels had
some chips and scratches, I painted them with primer
surfacer. For some of the larger gouges, I used red
auto body putty, and then applied another coat of
primer surfacer, and sanded.
 For the final finish, I used Eastwoods detail silver.
Over that, I applied Eastwoods diamond clear. The
wheels looked great, but I noticed a piece of dirt on
one wheel. I picked at the dirt with my fingernail,
and before I knew it, the clear coat was peeling off.
I ended up having to peel all of the clear coat off.
I called the tech support people of Eastwood, and they
said that they had had some other reports of this.
They gave me new paint and a clear coat for bare metal
at no charge. I sanded the wheels and repainted. The
new clear coat stuck, but mottled the paint slightly
(they had warned that this might happen). I ended up
buying some clear coat at NAPA, and that worked fine.
I am not sure what the Alfa color was, but this looks
pretty good.
Hope some of this is useful to you,
Russ
75 Spider