Re: Light specifcations (Alfetta GTV)

In Digest 377, Andrew asked about the exact size of Alfetta GTV
headlights.... the diameter and any other numbers that may be useful in
replacing the whole unit (on a 1979 Alfetta GTV 2000).

Well Andrew, the diameter is the standard Euro size as used on heaps of
other cars, but if the Aussie Alfetta GTVs are anything like mine in NZ, I
guess you'll be right out of luck in looking for a substitute, as these cars
have a special headlamp-mounting method which seems unique to the Alfetta
GT/GTV/GTV6, such that only the original Carello lamps are readily useable.
To mount a substitute universal-mounting headlamp, such as a Hella or Bosch
or Cibie whatever you fancy, a lot of mounting-adaptation seems required.
This is not good since the special Carello items are expensive, hard to get,
tend to rust and tarnish, and aren't all that bloody great to begin with
anyway.  For my car, I bought a set of  GTV6 headlamp mounting brackets from
a USA Alfa wrecker (APE), which mount straight into my Euro Alfetta GTV
where the Carello lamps used to be, and which are designed to directly
accommodate any generic headlamp unit of your choice. Very cool.

Best regards,
Graham,
Paekakariki, N.Z.
1978 Alfetta GTV 2000
Etc
PS  It was one-time Digester Dan P who organised the US end of my purchase
of those headlamp adaptors, which was much appreciated. I wonder if Dan's
still on the Alfa scene?  Haven't seen him on the Digest for a long time
now.....