RE: Cam followers - was routine retorque

Well the followers aren't actually flat, they are slightly convex, allowing
them to spin a few degrees every time the cam hits them.  This keeps the
wear even over their surface.  Keeping the followers with their lobe is
important because they actually "wear together" over the break-in period of
the engine and form an even distribution of pressure over the contact area.
If you change this cam and follower will wear a bit more than if you keep
them together, as they need to form a new wear pattern together.  Also
material matching is important for keeping wear to a minimum.  It is often
suggested to buy cam and follower from the same manufacturer, as hopefully
they have put some thought into matching the hardness of the cam lobe and
follower surface.

Hope that helps.

Steve
SLO, CA