Re: alfa-digest V8 #372 - routine retorque

       Some mechanics form really off the wall opinions about certain things.
 It may have to do with too much exposure to auto exhaust gasses or
something.  In any case, none of the Alfa manuals suggest draining the
radiator just to retorque the head one bolt at a time.  And I can see no
reason to drain the radiator for this operation.
       Assuming the antifreeze is getting a bit old, it would certainly not
hurt to drain it before doing the torque job.  While you are at it, replace
all the belts and hoses under the hood too.  And pull the valve cover to get
rid of the half quart of dirty oil and since you have the valve cover off,
you should check the valves clearances and the timing chain tension.
       Gad, I can get all carried away with Alfa maintenance, given half a
chance.  Did I mention you should drop the sump from the bat wing oil pan to
clean the grunge out of the bottom?

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City