Changing Milano rear brake pads

[Rant Mode On] Whoever was the sadist that designed the rear braking system
on the transaxle cars should be forced to do nothing but change rear brake
pads for an eternity or two.  After getting the locknuts on the adjuster
finally unfrozen (after an hour under the car in 4 degrees C weather), I
can't get the doggone pins out that hold the cross shaped retaining springs
in.  Heck I can't even get the pins out I can see, let alone the ones on the
top of the caliper that I can't see. What a design. [Rant Mode Off]

Anybody got any tricks for changing these pads, other than "take it to
Hans"?  I'm about to admit defeat here.

Bill Bain
AROC Atlanta
'83 Spider (old faithful)
'87 Milano (aggrevating new-fangled technology)