style v fashion

In a message dated 01/11/2002 8:36:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> .  Has the excessive weight of a fuel
> filler door become a hot topic in the automotive realm, and I just missed
> it?
> Or, is this the manufacturer's equivalent of the riceburner's predilection
> for painting miscellaneous body trim pieces yellow?  I hope Alfa, in their
> attempt to prepare for re-entry, doesn't see this as a trend in the
> American
> market and try to emulate it.

Alfa does not follow fashion.  Alfa sets fashion.

The reason people often think our "vintage" Alfas are much newer than they
really are (aside from the fact they are unfamiliar with the marque) is that
style is ALWAYS in fashion (looks new and fresh) but fashion is DESIGNED to
become obsolete (old hat) to prompt premature repurchases.

Case in point: a GTV6, a Montreal, a Spider (as sold in the USA through 94)
still looks great, sometimes spectacular, on the road today.  Mostly
everything made by, say, GM, looks like -- well, like polyester clothes from
the 70s, hopelessly out of date and tasteless, perhaps embarrassing.

 I don't think this is genetic, this is done on purpose by professionals.  Do
not try this at home.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA