Chris' starter

This morning my starter just made a high pitched whrrr, so I guess I will be
changing it this weekend.  It made an awful racket yesterday but did engage.
Any tips on replacing it, the car is an '87 Spider.  The starter was
replaced
6 years ago by the PO, shouldn't it have lasted longer?

Probably should have, but who knows how well it was rebuilt 6 yrs ago?
One excellent tip for changing 115 starters is to use Gear Wrenches, those
ratcheting sockets which have become widely available over the last couple
of years.  Using them, I changed my Spider's starter lickety split, leaning
over the fender, didn't have to go under the car at all.

The Gear Wrenches facilitate so many things on Alfas, I highly recommend
them to everyone.  Around here, they come in a couple of set configurations;
you want the one that has a 10, 13, 17, and 19mm size.  A buddy bought the
set with 11, 14, 15 and 18mm or some such; practically useless on Alfas.

Need I say, I have nothing to do with any money-making enterprise, least of
all Gear Wrenches.

Cheers,
Joe