Spider starter

Hi All,

This morning my starter just made a high pitched whrrr, so I guess I will be
changing it this weekend.  It made an awful racket yesterday but did engage.
Any tips on replacing it, the car is an '87 Spider.  The starter was replaced
6 years ago by the PO, shouldn't it have lasted longer?

One other question,  on the gauge illumination only the lights on the amps and
oil pressure are consistently on.  The speedo and tach lights occasionally
work.  I am guessing there is a bad ground or connection somewhere.  Can
someone point me in the right direction?  I have the shop manual but couldn't
find anything on the wiring diagram that would account for some but not all
the instrument lights functioning.

Thanks,
Chris