Re: avoiding German cars, etc.

I think this is an interesting topic, and not entirely out of context
for this list.  So I'll quickly add my thoughts:

I am half Italian and half Jewish.  My family (on the Jewish side) will
never buy a BMW, Volkswagen, or any other German car.  It is these very
companies that supported the German war efforts in WWII.  My great
grandmother was the only one of her 7 family members to survive the
concentration camps.  So, if it weren't for her escaping, I wouldn't be
here today.   Now, I don't agree with my family that we shouldn't buy a
BMW because of what happened in WWII.  But out of respect for their
feelings, I wouldn't think of buying one (not that I'd want to,
anyway!)

It's interesting then, that they don't mind that I drive an Alfa.  The
Italians were German allies, and assisted in the deportation of the
European Jews to the concentration camps.  It's also interesting that
my family choses to drive American cars, since they all have at least
some German parts in them.  And what about other German products they
use, like Braun shavers?  Their logic fails to make sense to me....but
I do understand where they're coming from.

My wife is Chinese.  She drives a Toyota minivan.  But it was the
japanese that took over China and brutally murdered most of her
relatives.  Her father was an orphan, and she never knew three of her
grandparents.  But driving a toyota does not bother her at all.
Doesn't bother her parents at all, either.  Toyota makes great,
dependable cars.

So, I don't think I really have a point to make here.  But we now live
in a global community that is much different than the one of 60 years
ago.  There are hardly any true 'American-made' products any more.
Most cars on the road are the product of parts from many countries,
designed and developed by people of many different nationalities.  I
think if we avoid buying cars simply because they're german or japanese
(even if they're designed and manufactured in th U.S.), then aren't we
becoming just like 'the people' whose products we're trying to avoid?

These are just my thoughts.  Sorry if I offend anyone.

Ross Kramer (1984 Maratona)
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/