164 Transmission Horror

	My '91 transmission seems to have died and needs to be rebuilt. It seems
strange to me that I can drive it about 100 yards or so when the tranny is
cold then I loose all gears. It's been through some torture while I was
hoping for something minor to be wrong. This includes a transmission
additive that seemed way to thick, and being both underfilled and overfilled
at different periods of praying for it to revive. If the transmission is
totally toast would it still move when the fluid is cold? It's been between
20 to 40 degrees F here.
	Any chance it might just be governor seals and valve body? ( easy things
that can be done without removing the tranny ). I drained the fluid and
there seems to be some metal there. Anyone have any luck rebuilding a
ZF-4HP18Q transmission. I have 3 experienced mechanics nearby to help and
I'm no slouch with a wrench but none of us have worked on this particular
brand of transmission before. Anyone have some suggestions or pointers? ( My
company is about to put a wage freeze in effect so I can't really afford to
buy a rebuilt unit from Ericsson - a rebuild kit I might be able to get
though ).

	Tony DiNanno
	'91 164L ( sitting lifeless under an inch of snow at the moment )
	Cheektowaga, NY