window regulator cable

is there a trick to replacing this cable??? my cable is ruined (passenger
side '87 spider) and the window won't move. i pulled the door panel off, and
removed the regulator. i replaced the cable with one the same length, and
fed it through the way it had always been. why didn't it work? the cable
just spins around on the spool until one end gets tight and then winds it
from the other end. tangling it as it goes. then it gets jammed. is there a
trick to it? i know what pully order its to follow...

HELP!!!!
kyle - i'm dry and warm, but my passengers complain.