Re: 164Q problems [ Frozen Doors 164]

Hello Glenn,

This is a very very common problem with Alfas and cold weather.  Since I
have seen many posts asking about this recently, I thought I'd put my two
cents in.

I first purchased my Alfa 164L back in 1994 in the great Minnesnowta. =P
Upon the first winter I learned quick of the 164 door latch issues.  I
many times had to take the car to the dealer to have them get it open.
Each time they would lubricate all internal parts in hopes to rectify
sticky mechanicals.  Eventually I decided I didn't want anymore dealer
gouging and got very proficient at dismantling the doors my self and here is
what I have learned over the years.

If you doors are frozen try to find the door that is least frozen, maybe
the door that has been in the sun for a tiny bit?  The side that is not
facing the freezing rain wind direction, etc.  Push on the b-pillar of the
frozen door 3/4 times to try and brake the ice seal free (Make sure you
use the b-pillar or maybe the even pressure on the window cause the body
panel is just not strong enough to take it, I bent mine even with my cushy
butt).  Then pull up on the handle and do not use the handle as the only
point to pull the door open.  I usually only pull the handle up enough to
release the latch and then try to work my finger behind that b-pillar edge
pulling out.  Keep repeating these steps to get the door open.  I believe
what happens is that using the door handle only on a frozen door causes
the latch mechanism to jam (due to added leverage being applied), keeping
it stuck in the open position (over extending the latch).  If you ever get
a chance to take your door apart I would recommend lithium grease on the
following three points:

1.  right behind the internal door release handle you will see a rod with
a spring.  Have seen the rod spring gum up keeping it from returning to
its correct position.
2.  The latch that clamps onto the post in the door sil.
3.  Small spring and latch actuator inside the door that the outside
handle connects to.  Wish I could describe this location better.  Maybe I
can if I get a good look at it at home. =)

Any other spots people have found over the years?

So, you will most likely have to take apart your door and find if it is 1
or 2 that is keeping your latch from catching (nothing actually broken).
My guess is #2.  You might get lucky and in the warm sun or garage and
some lever actuation, it might reset without taking your door apart.  One
thing I have found with my car is not to try and set things straight with
the internal handle if you lodged the latch with the outside handle.

Overall, I have come to the conclusion that the Alfa 164 is just not meant
for the extrem winters that are a part of Minnesnowta. =P Even though the
car heats great and with the front wheel drive and a set of Nokian snow
tires it is almost unstoppable. =o)

Good Luck!  Let us know what you have learned! =)

Damon