RE: fwd and rwd again

I usually agree with Mr. Smith's assertions, but not this time...there have
been numerous technical articles written on this subject. None that I have
ever come across claim that a FWD car can outperform the same car with RWD,
no way no how. I will post some URL's when I have a chance, but ultimately
it has to do with slip angles and weight distribution. All things being
equal, FWD cars do not have optimal weight distribution. The center of
gravity is near the front therefore the front tires share most of the
centrifugal force. Accordingly, they have to generate a larger slip angle
and larger frictional force to counter the centrifugal force. As a result,
the front slip angles exceed the rear's and understeer occurs. The only way
to correct this is by letting off the gas (i.e. slowing down) which does not
bode well for performance. Futhermore, you can't make a comparison "on the
street" because street driving does not allow you to test the limits of the
cars potential, therefore any comparisons would be purely subjective. Do FWD
cars have advantages...sure. Better acceleration in the wet, for one. Can a
FWD outpeform a RWD car...of course. But all things being equal, a RWD car
will ALWAYS outperform the same car in a FWD setup.
Rob

>From: C M Smith <cmsmith@domain.elided>
>Subject: fwd and rwd again
>The fact is the fwd outperforms the rwd until you get to drifting the >car.
>The geometry of the drive wheels relative to the central axis of >the car
>means fwd will ALWAYS out corner rwd right up to the point >you need to
>slide the car to point it down the next straight. This >means that for the
>street fwd will always be superior to rwd. Anybody >who thinks different
>just doesn't do the math let alone actually >drive back to back fwd against
>rwd.
<snip>