RE: fwd/RWD...

It's always amusing to listen to this debate.  Almost as much fun as hearing sports car people lambaste SUV's.

The problem is that everyone is right.  Really.

Yes, Tess, FWD is cheaper to make.  Less parts
Yes, FWD will handle well, very well for that matter
Yes, RWD is still better (any FWD F1 cars out there?)
Yes, FWD is good for 99% of the driving population
Yes, even most RWD owners couldn't notice the difference, as they don't drive that hard.
Yes, AWD isn't too expensive any more
Yes,  most generations have people who prefer either way

Like Jay said, its all a matter of taste.  For this group, most people enjoy driving bare bones cars that are more engaging to drive.

In the end, its all about money.  As much as I want Alfa to be RWD, can you see why they probably won't be?  Over the last 30 years, they have sold more FWD vehicles.  Over the last 5 years, they have actually seemed to grow and possibly make money selling ONLY FWD vehicles.

Do they compete with BMW?  We'd like to think so, but in the end, they have to do whatever it takes to make money.  If they can sell 50,000 FWD cars to people who own Audi's and ford's and whatnot vs. sell 10,000 RWD cars to people like us, what do you think they will do.  ESPECIALLY if they are partially controlled by a BOD with American influence.  Heritage is nice, if it can sell cars and make money.  Ever seen a new Jag?  When did they ever make a V8 or V6?  That's all they sell now.  I won't even go into the platform debate with them.

Dream all you want (I STILL do), but in the end, they will try to make money.

Eric Storhok
Core Emissions and Fuel Economy Team
Advanced Powertrain Engineering
(313)33x75011