Re: FWD/RWD/AWD, New Alfas, Audi A4, WRX

I'm under 35 (31) and feel the same way. Sure FWD cars can be fun, and FWD
makes it easier to use the e-brake to slide the rear around while keeping
on the accelerator, they still don't handle as well overall as RWD. With
FWD being about the only thing available, I've turned to trucks for most
driving - in part since most are still RWD.

The importance of RWD isn't lost on the likes of Lexus. Their high end
cars are RWD, even the newer SC430. In the US, if you want a RWD car,
you can look at Ford (Crown Vic/Gran Marquis/Town Car) or at the import
luxury cars (exception being the Corvette, and maybe the Mustang - is it
FWD yet?). The Mazda Miata is RWD. And so is the Honda S2000. If FWD was
really all that spectacular, wouldn't you think Lexus, Mazda, and Honda
would have used FWD in their platforms too?

The big question that remains is where does GM plan to position the Alfa
Romeo when it is reintroduced. If the Spider (which I believe is going to
be the first model brought in) is going after the likes of Mitsubishi's
Eclipse and such, then FWD makes sense.

I think if you look at the models of cars like the Spider (either 2
seater or 2+2, 2 door, convertable, sports car), you will see
that with few exceptions, the ones that stand out, either in value,
performance, handling, or even luxury are all RWD. If GM tries to target
that group with a FWD model, then I wouldn't hold out much hope for the
long term return of Alfa Romeo to the US market. Sadly.

Personally, I'd love to see some sales stats - what percentage of sales go
to FWD versus RWD cars at prices over $25k, or even $35k. I have a
sneaking suspicion that cars at that level are mostly RWD. It seems the US
auto makers have forgotten or are forgetting this, while the asian imports
learned it. [just my $0.02 worth]

Greg