re: 3 cyls vs 4

Ron -

You get bonus points for this.  There are a number of small 3 cyl cars
floating around.  I believe that the Suzuki (Chevy in the US) Sprint is
a 3 cyl one-litre in base form.  Subaru had a 3 cyl, the Justy, that
rang in at 1200 cc.  Also had CVT as an option.  VW has had one in
Europe for some time, if memory serves.  Easy solution, as you said, if
you can use parts from a 4 cyl of similar cc/cyl capacity.

However -  Three cyl *four-stroke* engines are not well balanced
inherently.  Balance shafts could easily take care of that, I am sure.
The motorcyle world has had a number of three cyl bike engines.  Older
BSA/Triumph, Yamaha, newer Triumphs, Laverda, Honda 2 stroke, the list
goes on.  Two stroke motors would have three power stokes every
revolution of the crank.  I am not sure of the primary balance issue,
but I think it is related to that.

<<Greetings.  A buddy of mine and I were wondering - for small
displacement engines, why don't automakers go with 3 cyl engines more
often?
Cheaper and lighter than a complarable 4 - right?  Smooth and revvy from
memories of being ferried around in 3 cyl 2 cycle Saabs in my youth.
Firing
order 1-3-2?  Anybody care to weigh in on this burning question?
Cheers,
Ron.>>