Re: 164S Totaled

I had the same experience with my '91 L--the insurance company will
SELL the car back to you for a very low price, after having given you
the "fair market value" (if too low, you can argue--my L was quoted at
around $8,000 last year, which was fine by me)--they paid me the $8000
minus around $800 to buy the car back. I had it fixed (the damage was
really superficial, but parts cost a lot) and it's as good as "new".

--- vasco melo <vmelo164s@domain.elided> wrote:
> I crashed my beloved 164S the day before Christmas, rotten luck. In
> order to
> avoid crashing into someone else who crossed in front of me from a
> side
> street, he left me no choice but to plow onto someone's front yard,
> hitting a
> tree and finally stopping, slightly hitting the house. Luckily I was
> ok.
> However, after dealing, still dealing with the insurance company, I
> wish that
> I had hit the other car, it would have made things simpler. The
> insurance
> company declared my car totaled and will give me the market value
> sometime
> next week.
>
> So I have a question for any of you who've had this experience
> before; the car
> has $5K+ damage but it's reparable. I know that I can't afford to fix
> it now,
> but I don't really want to give the insurance company my car so that
> they or
> someone else can profit from all my labor, tons of money and time and
> love
> that I've invested on it. Have any of you ever had this happen, where
> they'll
> give you the market value and let you keep the car? I guess it's the
> company's
> policy is to keep a totaled vehicle, but how dare they? And why isn't
> my
> insurance company going after the other guy's insurance company, even
> if he's
> 79 YEARS OF AGE? It really wasn't my fault.
>
> I would appreciate any advice...
>
> Vasco
> Former daily driver 1991 164S
>
> --