Daf CVT & 3 Cyls

I never knew this one Scott!

<Alfa note: one of the first demonstrations of a CVT
was in an Alfa Romeo Giulietta at Zandvoort, because
the original belt-driven CVT was connected to the
Dutch firm DAF (no doubt someone on the Digest will
remember the details better than I can).  Bystanders
were said to be unnerved by the continued scream of
the Giulietta at peak revs through a series of
corners; the engine did not drop and raise as much as
it would with a standard gearbox, the CVT instead
keeping the engine on the boil and adjusting the wheel
speed>

But I have driven a Daf 33 (33 Bhp at most) with CVT in the mid 70s which
belonged to a friends mum. It was a hoot. Very light (tinny) and as you say
the engine note bore no relation to what was going on velocity wise......veery
disconcerting having an engine note that falls as you acccelerate. It used two
belts and two cone shaped 'stepper' arrangements to raise/lower the gearing.
If they went wrong it was very expensive to fix, and you rarely see them
today...but spookily enough I pulled up next to a Daf 44 at the lights just
the other day having not seen one for years and years....and people think you
are very strange when you get excited about seing such an ageing drab looking
spartan little vehicle.  They were ideally suited to Holland of course, and to
round here which is flat and below sea level for about 20 miles.

Regarding 3 cylinders, I did a  Digest note in the summer about the latest GM
Opel/Vauxhall Corsa small car. The base engine is a 3 cylinder 1000cc which
will just about top 100 MPH on a good day, and is great to drive and makes
nice (if restrained) noises. The son of the Alfa dealer I used to frequent
used to rally a three cylinder Daihatsu (can't remember the model name) and
that was pretty loud and gutsy for such a small unit.

There is/was also the Orbital three cylinder 'clean' two stroke engine being
developed in Australia. I know Ford had some Fiestas running this engine on
trial. Eric.....is this one still alive or has the Orbital been consigned to
history ? The last I read about it must be four or five years ago, but it was
an exciting project in view of its lightness and power to weight
ratio...though I am not sure about its economy.

Tim Hancock   164TS Lusso Boston   UK