All I Want For Christmas Is A New Italian Car I Can Afford

Well it seems pretty clear to me that like everybody else in the world,
GM wants a slice of the eurocruiser market that BMW now owns lock, stock
and barrel.  Cadillac will never get them there and neither will quirky
(not that there is anything wrong with that) SAAB.  Ford is doing the
same thing with Jag-you-are as we speak:  turning the Contour/Mystique
platform into a 4WD pocket rocket aimed straight at the heart of BMW's
three series.

If Alfa ever comes back to the US, it will be because GM thinks Alfa can
get it into this market.  Will that car be like our old Alfas?  No it
will not.  That heritage is gone, destroyed by the corporate culture at
FIAT.  But if we are lucky, the cars will be competitive with BMW, Audi
and Jag-you-are while still being what none of those cars will ever be:
Italian.  For me, that will be enough to displace an aging 164 daily
driver, if not enough to justify selling the spider or the GTV-6.

George Pond
Averill Park, NY