RE: Alfetta GT bad sounds

Biba,

Does the noise go away when the clutch pedal is depressed?  If not, then
suspect the clutch shaft bearings.  If it does and the noise is still there
when the trans is in neutral, then suspect the input shaft bearings.  If
you only hear the noise when the vehicle is in motion, then the problem is
probably mainshaft bearings.
One of the transaxles I had in my Alfetta had a noise that only happened
'on throttle.'  When I split the case, bits of bearing cage fell out.  One
of the big bearings on the mainshaft had disintegrated.  On throttle loaded
the bearing, backing off unloaded it, hence the condition.  I was surprised
it turned at all; the balls looked like the moon, they were pitted so badly!
I hope this helps.

Mark Tamas
Parts Manager
Emerald Chrysler-Mitsubishi