72 -74 spiders - the differences

Here's what the ownership of 3 spiders (1972, and 2 -1974's - build dates of
12/73 and 10/74), a 5 year ground up restoration, and the experience of
assembling the 71-74 spider register has brought me to believe. Not having
owned a *true* '73, there is some ~wiggle~ room in some of my dates. Feel
free to bring on your objections ... but bring 'em with proof (or at least,
supporting facts) ;-)

72 & 73 - steel wheels (stock)

74 - alloys (stock)

72 - ss rear bumper: connects at 4 points (2 at the back, 2 at the side),
the rear mounting points are a "hang on" (vs. bolted on) affair, LP lights
in
bumper

73 -74 ss rear bumper: connects at 2 points (in the rear); the rear mounting
points are bolted on (vs. hang on); bumperettes; there are rubber, block,
accordion pieces between the  bumper and the car body; no LP lights in
bumper - now on rear of car

72 - front bumper: each side mounted separately using flat steel

73-74 - front bumper: the same bumper as the 72 w/ the addition of
bumperettes; each side is mounted to a single, long, hollow, steel
substructure which in turn mounts to the car; there are rubber, block,
accordion
pieces between the substructure and the car body

********
I've submit  that the *BIG* weight addition that people associate to the
73-74 front bumpers is mostly the stuff of URBAN LEGEND and due to the
APPEARANCE of the substructure on the 73-74's ... in reality, it itself is
quite light. The actual weight difference between the 72 and 73-74 front
bumpers is ONLY 11lbs. 7oz.! (this takes into account the bumpers and all
mounting hardware, minus any difference in the car's structure ... email me
if you want the details)
********

74 - has the ignition inter-lock device (along with extra wiring to the
seats, seat belts, and transmission)

mid way thru 74 (6/74~7/74) - the inside door handles were changed to those
of the GTV

somewhere between 72 and the 74 the following were changed:
1) the addition of side impact bracing in the doors
2) the "M" mark on the main pulley was moved (less aggressive)
3) a starter relay was added
4) the ignition device was changed slightly (terminal added) to support a
by-pass resistor on the coil
5) flat areas (for future bosses) were added to both he exhaust and intake
manifolds (may have actually changed during the '74 run)
6) the stickers on the inner fender well, hood, and glove box door had minor
changes over the 3 year period (72-74)

O.K., I'm sure I've missed something ... but it's getting late and does
anyone really care?

Tim Lentz
Tampa, FL