Re: Wait for a new Alfa or buy and A4?

The new A4 (2002 model year) is quite a good looking car,  in person, and
in pictures.  Quite handsome indeed.

It's got a 3.0V6 (24-valve), with 220hp.  It's got FWD with Multitronic
standard, and costs $31,665.  Sounds kinda like the 164LS to me, except
that it's got CVT.  Quite fun, and very versatile.  I think Alfa should
just ditch the Selespeed and put CVT in. It's lighter (over 80lbs lighter)
, more responsive, has LESS hydraulic plumbing (less things to go wrong)
and you can program "gear ratios" into the computer.  Think about it; "I'm
going to take a 400 mile drive to Willow Springs this weekend - I'm going
to select highway mode <beep>."  Once I'm there, and I've swapped out my
street tires with my race tires for the Time Trials, "now I need shorter
ratios to hit redline at the end of the front straight in fourth,
<beep>".  I will GLADLY pay to have this flexibility.

If you like to row, there is a manual tranny offered - only with AWD.  The
3.0V6 Quattro is a thousand US dollars more, at $32,600.  You could
compare this to a 164Q4.

In terms of driving involvement and enjoyment, I have driven the new A4
and find it even more mind numbing than the previous one.  Interestingly
enough, it is more fun than the new BMW 330i - go figure!!!  The new BMW's
are a real lesson in profit margins.  The quality is on par with the Audis
- but they cost a good $6,000 to $8,000 more.

If you still want an Alfa, I'd echo Karl and say get a nicely cared for
164LS (1994 or 1995).  They can be had for about a third that amount.
Then spend some money with AlfaBill for new polyurethane bushings -
replace them ALL.  Change the belts and water pump, and put on some
Michelin Pilot MXX3's.  There, you're out about half the amount of the
Audi A4 but you have a car that is much more fun, makes all the right
noises, and will provide you with good everyday service for the next few
hundred thousand miles.

Oh - your climate control display won't work but that's not an issue since
all you need is for the "Auto" light to be on.

Nizam
88 75 3.0V6
94 164 Super 3.0V6 24v
97 155V6 2.5

p/s I'm thinking real hard about the 156GTA SW.  Yea yea, it's a $40K FWD
car.  But I'd pay for it.