RE: Autodelta claims??

Hi all,

Belated Seasons Greetings to all.

: "Nick Koleszar" <nick@domain.elided> did write:

Subject: Autodelta USA "accuracy"

I hope that Autodelta USA runs a better-managed business than they've done
with their website.

They claim that the Cup version of their GTS coupe has 320 bhp......

Also, their website says,

"Autodelta's 3.0 V6 24-valve powerplant provides tremendous performance,
making it a true 'supercar'. Power output is enormous (230 bhp) as is its
maximum torque (265 Nm). Features include an electronic accelerator and a
6-speed gearbox, making this GTS a simply sensational drive."

The Alfa Romeo UK website just happens to say,

"Alfa Romeo's 3.0 V6 24-valve powerplant provides tremendous performance,
making it a true 'supercar'. Power output is enormous (218 bhp) as is its
maximum torque (265 Nm). Features include an electronic accelerator and a
6-speed gearbox, making this GTV a simply sensational drive."

I would find it hard to have confidence in an operation with such poor
attention to detail and an apparent lack of knowledge of their own product
that they either copy someone else or get it completely wrong.

To which I reply:

I find it extremely hard to believe that Alfa Romeo or Autodelta would "mix
its metaphors" when relating power output and torque figures. The general
technical agreement is that when power output is quoted in HP then the
torque should be quoted in units of ft/lb.  If the power is quoted in kWatts
(as is the current ISO norm today) then the torque should be quoted in Nm.

If in fact this was an official marketing release by either organisation
they had better brush up on the correct technical terms if they do not wish
to become a laughing stock by the other manufacturers!  If the power output
was 230kW then that is some motor!!

My 2c worth, now I will go back to relaxing in the glorious sunshine we are
currently having in our fair country!

John Fielding
Durban
South Africa