3 cyls vs 4

    Greetings.  A buddy of mine and I were wondering - for small
displacement engines, why don't automakers go with 3 cyl engines more often?
Cheaper and lighter than a complarable 4 - right?  Smooth and revvy from
memories of being ferried around in 3 cyl 2 cycle Saabs in my youth.  Firing
order 1-3-2?  Anybody care to weigh in on this burning question?  Cheers,
Ron.