re: '74 Spider starter relay

--- Tessie McMillan <tessmc@domain.elided> wrote:
> Hey there Scott!
>
> To clarify Henrik's relay problem (and where the
> heck is he, anyway, so he can speak for himself???),
> it was actually a relay sensing whether the
> driver's seatbelt was buckled.

Thanks, Tess -- I had deleted too much of the original
posting, which mentioned that there is a seatbelt
interlock relay as well as the ignition-switch relay.

Fred Di Matteo stressed the importance of a relay in
the ignition when he talked me through re-wiring
around the balky cold-start solenoid bypass that
failed last spring, for exactly the reason you
mention, Brian.  In fact, Henrik and I originally
feared that the reason his car wasn't starting was
that the ignition switch itself had burned its contact
points.

For those outside the US or not of driving age in
1974, I'll mention that for one year, 1974, U.S. cars
were required to have a seatbelt interlock that would
refuse to start the car unless the belts in the front
seats (if there was a passenger in the front) were
fastened.

> I was telling him he must've bought that car in
> Sweden &;-).

I bet he LOVED that!  Did he make you wash your mouth
out with akvavit? :-)

--Scott
http://greetings.yahoo.com