BMW vs Alfa image

>>I've said it before.  Without having lived in Italy (visited 3 times
only),
I think I know these guys at least to some extent, because we argentinians
think and act the same:  We (they) want a car to show, and you cannot show
car unless it's *imported*, especially from Germany.  It's an image
thing.<<

Probably worth noting that in the UK, BMW is getting to have a bit
of an image problem. Basically buying a BMW is to accept people
viewing you as a rich OAP or a young, pushy and repugnent git.

Alfa have managed to avoid this image (although I have heard the
opposite images apply in Italy), and Audi even used this kind
of image for advertising. They had some guy talking on a mobile,
driving agressively and then dropping the keys back in the dealer
saying "No, not really my style".

Oh, Alfa sales in the UK have gone up by a factor of about 10 over the
last half decade. Latest person to buy one I know of is a neighbours
brother. He has little interest in cars and bought it to replace a Suzuki.

All the best

Keith