Alfa's return to NA

Nicky Avery made some good points about success in the marketplace. I
bought my 91 164L in November of 1991. The "competing" product was BMW's
then brand new 325i, but a 92 model. I received a substantial "discount"
off the list price of the 164L but it was still only marginally cheaper
than the BMW. Subsequent experience with the car has proved that the market
place was correct to insist upon a substantial discount due to the totally
unreasonable cost of repairs required after the car was merely 6 years old.
The poor design of a few components absolutely wrecked this car, though
admittedly the marketplace passed it's fatal judgment in the very first
year before these defects became apparent.

ARDONA failed to sell any 1992 models, palming off the 91 stock of
inventory to cover that model year. 1993 models were merely warmed over 91,
new paint and trim but no significant changes. The model "range" was
narrowed for 94 by changing the trim levels to essentially a four seater
LS. I can't recall whether there was an uprated engine available in NA,
certainly such cars were not available in Canada. Foolish marketing. Sell
too few cars so narrow the selection further, narrowing the market even
more. The 24 valve uprated motor would have motivated me to purchase except
for two major obstacles: the trade in for my essentially 2 year old 91
offered in 94 by even Alfa dealers was pathetic (and I do mean pathetic)
and the rear seat of this enormous (by European standards) sedan was
reconfigured to seat only two comfortably. Bone headed stupid to sell a
family sedan with "Executive" seating.

Contrast ARDONA/Alfa with Audi's rebirth in NA after a near fatal collision
with the blue rinse set (inability to distinguish between the gas pedal and
the brake in a self induced "panic" situation.... the whole idea of
experiencing a "panic" situation while supposedly operating an automobile
boggles the mind..but there you go)  is a marketing tour de force. Check
out the prices Audi is getting for their four cylinder 1.8T powered A4.
North America is lapping up what is admittedly a very sweet handling little
car, and for premium prices too. Of course, this is nothing to what VW is
getting for their Jetta.

Ya gotta project value for money. Ya gotta stand behind your product come
hell or highwater, or certifiable moronic drivers just to take an example
purely out of the hypothetical. Ya gotta buy back your older cars if
there's no market if that's what it takes to build the resale market. SAAB
did it, by the skin of their teeth. BMW did it (remember the first BMW
before the 2002 series? They were awful little s**tboxes really, but they
had  a great motor and the 2002 had at least a half assed chassis which
transformed the car and allowed BMW to expand its model range rapidly. The
latest BMW are no screamin' heck but check out the press on these
overpriced econoboxes and even more so, check out the prices of used ones.

So, unless Alfa comes back with a full range of models, a gilt edged
warranty, and proper resale incentives, they'll sell oh maybe 4,000 cars in
four model years to crackpots like me who actually like fwd and the idea of
a Selespeed. If they bring over an awd model then maybe some of the
besotted Audi crowd will switch buying plans. I know I would be in the
market for an Audi A4 if no Alfa returns to Canada.

Cheers

Michael

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta