re: Distributor - kaput or OK?

This question was from last week but I just got to it.  Brad wrote "While
changing the rotor on my 82 Spider distributor, the entire shaft on which
the rotor resides came up (the rotor was stuck to it via rust)."

I'd suggest replacing the distributor if there is any side-ways play at the
rotor, based on my own experience in my 1986 spider.  The distributor shaft
developed so much play that the rotor struck the inside of the cap, punching
holes in the cap and destroying the rotor.  But the real problem was that
the shock of the rotor jamming in the hole in the cap caused the oil pump
drive gear to shear its pin.  Replacing the oil pump was a real pain - since
I could only take the lower oil pan off without removing the engine.

John Dohrmann
'86 spider Quad.
Olympia, WA