Funky is as funky does (was: RE: Couple of questions about 1974 spider)

In 8-0331 Scott writes "While I'm thinking of it -- is there anyone else on
the Digest who knows those two dates (month/year of manufacture per the in-car
plate, versus first date of registration) for comparison?  I have no real
sense of how long the pipeline was from Pininfarina's factory to the showroom
floor.  It *seems* funky to me that there would be almost two years between
those events, but I have nothing to back that up.  Even a few samples would be
interesting."

Can't say about Spiders, but a very mundane data-point is my wife's 164, which
was two days short of twenty-six months between the assembly line at Arese and
the date of first registration. (The date is more precise than the doorpost
date as I have the "Ordine di Consegna"). Can't give a date for showroom
floor, as the car was never on a showroom floor, just on storage lots in
Newark and Raleigh. Never properly cleaned-up, which is probably why the
"Ordine" was still in the car.

Nice car, for a wrong-ender, once we cleaned the cosmoline and removed the
prominent nail from the right-front tire. Pre-delivery preparation? Oh, yeah.

John H.

Raleigh, N.C.