RE: Couple of questions about 1974 spider

--- Brian Shorey <bshorey@domain.elided> wrote:
> <snip>
> > The "best year" issue is at least as emotionally
> > charged an issue as whether to go with Spica or
> > Webers, and as personal [...]
>
> The '72 - '74 Spiders are *not* identical in
> specification

See what I meant about "emotionally charged," Greg?
:-)

Seriously, Brian -- thanks, I haven't yet had to delve
that deeply into the bumpers.  I'll make a point of
checking Joe Cantrell's Spider the next time I look it
over -- yours is a '72, yes, Joe?

> Park the cars next to each other and you'll see what
> I'm talking about,

Next time Joe and I get together with both Spiders,
I'll do just this.

> There are other differences as well.  I'm reasonably
> certain that the reinforced doors were put into
> production some time during the '74 model year.

Interesting about that, too.  I'll be sure to keep my
eyes open when I replace the Spider's door panels,
slated for next month if all goes as planned.  And of
course, the question of model year versus calendar
year becomes somewhat muddied with the '74, as the
20-month difference between on-the-car date of
manufacture and in-the-state first registration
indicates.

While I'm thinking of it -- is there anyone else on
the Digest who knows those two dates (month/year of
manufacture per the in-car plate, versus first date of
registration) for comparison?  I have no real sense of
how long the pipeline was from Pininfarina's factory
to the showroom floor.  It *seems* funky to me that
there would be almost two years between those events,
but I have nothing to back that up.  Even a few
samples would be interesting.

Thanks,

--Scott Fisher
  Tualatin, Oregon