Re: 164 Trunk latch

Well, it looks like the Canuck get the gold star on this one, even if he
didn't get it exactly right.  The latch itself is fine, and functions
correctly when removed from the car.  It's the powered solenoid that is
the problem, as it is staying in the open position and isn't letting the
latch catch in the locked position when the trunk is closed.  I'm pretty
sure it's a mechanical problem - the actuator doesn't want to move very
freely, even though I tried to lube it with some Zep silicone spray
(Thanks Bill!)  It would make sense that with the actuator stuck in the
open position, the control unit wouldn't over-ride and shut the light
off, as the actuator should (under normal operation) only be open for a
split second to pop the trunk free.  They likely didn't wire in enough
intelligence to allow for a stuck solenoid.

For the time being, I've just disconnected the solenoid rod, and I'll use
the key to open the trunk like we did way back in the 70's.  Maybe on a
warmer day I'll take the solenoid out and see if it can be rescued, or
maybe just grab one from a junkyard.  Wonder if BMW or Saab might use the
same part?

Thanks for all the responses,

Brad