164 Transmission problems.

	First I want to thank everyone here for the numerous tips and help I've
been able to get here from other peoples posts and reading the archives.
Although I've been reading the mailing list for some time this will be my
first posting.
	My car is a 91 164L automatic transmission with 130k miles. I recently
developed a problem with my transmission I've been unable to figure out. It
began with short periods of slipping between gears and escaleted (no doubt
from my lack of attention) to it's current condition. I can drive about 200
yards then I get get no power to the wheels regardless of gear selection.
	Before I get started I'd like to note that despite the fact that I have the
original owners manual and the Car Disc manual I still managed to overlook
the filler cap and used a funnel to put fluid in through the dipstick tube.
(Again my fault - I make no excuses).
	I used a transmission additive hoping to restore any seals that may be
going bad. This additive was so thick it wouldn't drain through the funnel.
I had to use the dipstick to push it through. At this point it was just
slipping between gears. WHen I measured the next day it was still low. I
added some Dexron 3 (supposedly backward compatible to Dexron 2). I didn't
recheck till next day, it was still low and still slipping between gears.
This went on for a couple days of me adding a bit at a time but with no
apparrent fluid level change.
	On my way home from work last friday it fiunally refused to go into
reverse. ANd once warm refused to move in any gear. I ended up leaving the
car and going back for it Saturday night at whicjh point I checked the fluid
level and it was extremely high. I attempted to tow the car backwards from
its parking spot to no avail. It was like it was stuck in gear. even in
nuetral it would move backwards, but would move freely forward.
	I disconnected the line and ran the engine to pump some out. Eventually I
was able to get it into reverse and drive towards home. 200 yards then no
gears again, then wait 15 minutes drive  200 yards smae thing. Luckily the
third attempt was all I needed to coast into my driveway.
	Does anyone have an idea as to whats happeneing? THe transmission overheat
light never came on. Is my transmission totally toast or could it be
something as simple as draining the fluid and replacing the filter? I would
have done that today but I'm snowed in here. 3 to 4 feet in the last 24
hours. My car is outside in the driveway so I'll have to dig it out first
but if anyone could give me some idea as what to look for I'd be grateful.
	Sorry for the length just wanted to get all the facts out.

	Tony D
	Cheektowaga, NY (near Buffalo)
	91 164L