Re: alfa-digest V8 #312 - cam timing... notches, holes???

       My term "notches" was perhaps unfortunate.  Look at the front of the
vernier adjustment on the camshaft.  Note the 6 mm bolt that locks the two
parts of the cam timing gear together.  Now look at the hole immediately
beside the locking bolt.  You will see that the two holes are not exactly
lined up.  This is how you change the cam timing in small increments.
       The amount of one hole that laps over the next hole is what I was
calling a "notch."  I do not have a camshaft handy to measure, but I suspect
the amount of the out of alignment is less than 1/2 a millimeter.
       Now if you count over five bolt holes, the out of alignment increases.
 That is the amount by which you are going to be adjusting the timing.  Not
much.  Not even a half a bolt hole, as I recall.
       I hope that is clear enough.  Sorry for the confusion caused by my
choice of terms.
       If this is not clear, look at Pat Braden's Alfa Bible.  The subject of
cam timing and Joe Benson's original article from Alfa Owner may also be in
the Spica book sold by AROC.
       If you really need to get hold of me, write Texas Bernie #2, a/k/a
'Nardo, a/k/a BZ.  My wife and I are off tomorrow to visit southwest Texas
for the holidays and I will not be reading Alfa Digest until arriving at
Bernie and Petei's house, if then.
       Y'all have a good holiday season.

Ciao,
Russ Neely