AROC Owner production

In a message dated 12/19/2001 3:10:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

>      The BOD or VIP copy comes a week or two before the regular membership
> copy.  As I understand it, these copies are the first to be printed and are
> hand mailed rather than going though the bulk mail process.

I'm sure you're right about them being mailed first and first class, which
could make a difference of one to three weeks, typically, in delivery.

As far as printing is concerned, though, they're all printed at once, I'm
sure.  Printing presses are FAST.  I'll bet AROC prints 5k books per month.
Between the time enough have run and the switch is thrown to shut press down
and the time the press actually rolls to a stop, probably another 50 - 100
copies are printed.  I'm assuming in a low run job like this they're using a
sheet fed press; if they're running on a web press, it is much faster!
Printing, and even binding, of the magazines doesn't really take a long time
-- especially if you compare it with the time in the mail!  And for the last
quarter, for various reasons (all bad), our USPS has been quite a bit slower
than usual, as well as going broke.

Charlie <- knows something about printing and mailing
LA, CA, USA