Re: 164 Overheating

Glenn wrote of his 164Q overheating, and the overflow tank being empty
with no sign of leaking coolant. The cooling system on a 164 is under
pressure. Any leak in the system can cause coolant to be pushed out
while driving. It's often squirts out in such a small amounts that it
hits a hot engine part and evaporates before it gets a chance to drip.
The overflow tank cap has a pressure release valve built in that will
spew coolant if the pressure is too high as well.

My experience is that your problem is probably a bad seam in the
overflow tank or a leaky hose in the system. The main seam around the
tank often goes. It's difficult to see the break as the parts are
usually forced apart only when the system is fully pressurized while
you're driving. Carefully check all of the cooling system hoses for
cracks around the clamps and pinhole leaks. Gently flex the hoses while
the car is running and hot to look for hidden leaks. The seals on the
overflow tank filler cap and especially the coolant level sensor cap go
bad, releasing pressure and coolant. I had to use a non-hardening gasket
compound around the level sensor cap threads to get it to hold pressure.

Rich Lasner
92 164S
ARA
AROC