Stock GTV okay for track?

I was talking to my mechanic today about track cars and he warned me against
one of my candidates, a '74 BMW 2002tii.  He knocked it for two reasons -
one, the car just won't take a wide tire.  185s are about the max.  And two,
the chassis is just too soft and too many track days will basically bend it.
I asked him about a similar vintage GTV and he just wasn't sure.  Opinions?