Re: spider that up and dies

>Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 19:02:09 -0500
>From: "Douglas R. and Julia R. Harris" <dharris@domain.elided>
>Subject: Spider that up and dies

  >  I bought a beautiful '77 Spider last summer and have subscribed to
>the digest for about two weeks now.  I've been reading and watching the
>activities in the digest, so that I can learn the tenor of discourse
>among you guys before I zing you with my first big question.  I think
>now's the time for me to seek some advice.
  >  My Spider has only 28,500 documented miles on it.  So, it's been
>sitting for long stretches in a garage over the last 24 years, but has
>been well maintained and seems to be in good running order.
  >  Soon after I bought it, I had a problem with it just flat out dying
>during a drive and refusing to restart.  I paid a local Alfa mechanic
>$200 to adjust and calibrate the SPICA system.  I've also replaced the
>plugs, wires (which were the original -- complete with the plastic
>housing and spring that snapped over and around the distributor), rotor
>and cap.  The points had been replaced some time ago by the previous
>owner who installed an electronic ignition module attached to the fender
>well near the coil.  (It has a brand name on it -- Gerson, I believe.)
  >  The problem still exists and is extremely frustrating.

Hey Douglas,
Welcome to the Alfa fold and maybe i can give some help. It doesnt sound
like a spica problem as much as an ignition problem. I would almost put
money that the old "Gerson?" electronic ignition is faulty. First thing i
would do is go ahead and replace that with a Crane XR700, I got mine for
less than 90.00 straight from Crane Cams. That would eliminate the old
ignition module as being any problem and would be very reliable in the
future. Also, another simple thing i would do is hook up a test lamp to the
positive lead from the ignition switch going to the coil/ignition module, so
if it dies again you will know whether or not the ignition switch or related
item is failing, youll see the lamp go off when the car dies if that is the
case. If you are still getting power when the motor dies on you, only then
would i delve deeper into the spica unit or fuel system. I have had several
electrical problems before and always accused the fuel when in fact it was
an electrical fault. Hope this helps.

Keith S.
73 spider