spider steering box oil & digest contributions

I noticed my Spider was handling rough the last time I
drove it -- when I would go into a hard S-curve, I
would make my hard right then left and as I came out
of the turn the car would make it own dampened S-turns
(pulling a bit each way).  I was looking this morning
and noticed the steering gear box has no drain plug in
it! (This is a car I bought recently.)  So my
questions are:  Should the oil level be to the top of
that box?  Would a low oil level in the box cause such
"sticky" handling?  Would the oil easily escape from
the gear box without that plug in it?  Is SAE 90 the
proper and available oil for this?

Also, as to the contributions issue, it seems like we
need to know what the costs are that Richard needs to
have covered and then figure how many are willing to
chip in.  I know I have learned quite a bit and find
the digest and interesting and unique resource.

Grazie,
Dan
'73 Spider
or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com