garbage in oil coolers

Re Steve's sad tale about shot gumming up his GTA engine, I've read in
air-cooled Porsche racing circles, and general aviation piston airplanes,
which both depend on oil coolers, that if you ever have a catastrophic
engine failure, always throw away the oil cooler, because it will have
gotten metal bits in it that there's no real way to get out. Steve's guess
is probably right, that the shot got into the cooler from some previous work
done before he got it, but came out during his tenure.  Whether it was
already in the cooler or travelled there from hidden places in the engine,
either way I don't think there's a reliable way to check/clean radiator-type
oil coolers.

Andrew Watry