Re:

Graham:

My first reaction is - DO NOT BUY THIS CAR.  115 body Spiders are a dime a
dozen and $16,000 is a hell of a lot for an '84 with 120k that's been
repainted and has a cracked dash.  For reference, I sold my '90 Spider with
48,000kms for $17,500 just last year.  The car was immaculate and totally
original so the buyer paid a premium.  I was lucky to find a buyer who
really appreciated the car.

I would say the car you describe is overpriced by about $10,000.

You have to watch for rust.  The area behind the doors, the rockers, the
wheel wells and spare tire wheel are some of the more susceptible areas.  If
there are any dings in the nose, be aware it is big money to fix.  Check the
nose for putty with a magnet.

The top is expensive and so are the seats.  Make sure they are in good
condition.  If the car has A/C, it probably doesn't work.  The heater may
not work either as the heater cores plug up with corrosion.

Check all the rubber bushings and mounts in the suspension.

A rough engine is easy to fix and gives you good negotiating leverage.

Henry

P.S. I know of some nice Spiders for sale.  Let me know if your friend wants
some help.