Re: alfa-digest V8 #287

At 02:16 AM 12/13/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings Alfisti,
>Does anybody on the digest have any experience with radar detectors.  I
>really wanted one and just got one from my wife as a present.  However she
>just bought me one at Costco ( a cheap Cobra ).  So I returned it and plan
>on buying something that actually works.
>I know that the Valentine 1 is the best but I can't lay out $400 for the
>thing.  The escort's are not available at a discount.  Has anybody used one
>of the Beltronics units.  Their 980 receives high marks and their 950 is
>like the 980 with just a couple bells and whistles missing ( along with
>more than a couple $$$ ).
>Thanks for any info.
>Dan Walker

If you go to ebay you can find the Escort 8500 for $250.  That's a $50
savings off of the regular price.  Good thing you returned the Cobra.  They
false so much that after a while you ignore it and you might miss a real
trap.  I'm still using the original Cincinatti Microwave Solo and it has
worked well for me.  It doesn't cover all the current bands and laser, but
that is not an issue on most of the roads I drive on.  When I do buy my
next RD it will probably be the Valentine 1.  If you really need a RD, why
get one that doesn't work well?  It could cost you more in the long run
because a single ticket and the associated costs could cover the price of
the V1.