Retrofit Airbag?

There is a Momo steering wheel with airbag on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=599130389

Now I dearly love the wooden Personal wheel on my '73 spider, but I wonder
if one could put (with the Momo hub, of course) such a wheel on a car not
originally equipped with an airbag and get improved crash protection.  Or is
there way more to installation then providing it with a power source?  Does
it need some kind of an external switch that is triggered by sudden
deceleration or something?  Not that I'm about to do this, but are there
other reasons why it is a Bad Idea?