Radar Detectors

Greetings Alfisti,

Does anybody on the digest have any experience with radar detectors.  I
really wanted one and just got one from my wife as a present.  However she
just bought me one at Costco ( a cheap Cobra ).  So I returned it and plan
on buying something that actually works.

I know that the Valentine 1 is the best but I can't lay out $400 for the
thing.  The escort's are not available at a discount.  Has anybody used one
of the Beltronics units.  Their 980 receives high marks and their 950 is
like the 980 with just a couple bells and whistles missing ( along with
more than a couple $$$ ).

Thanks for any info.

Dan Walker
67 Duetto