???? (was the shame of Portello)

I would say something, in public, especially to 3
persons.

John: as often, I agree with you. It's cleare Bob is
respectful.

Ed: I also, doing my insignificant job, think noone,
in the future, will be interested in my papers, on the
identity cards, on the certificates and so on. But
speaking about Alfa Romeo the things are a bit (only a
bit?) different. Who was the person who in 1960 had
the idea to built an Alfa Romeo museum? Was Orazio
Satta, as Ferrari said "the engineer of Alfa Romeo"
(in the double sense of worker for Alfa and of creator
of the Alfa). Orazio Satta was or not an Alfa worker?
No, please, don't make confusion: there are persons
greatest, surely a bit higher than other, persons who
think in advance. Satta was one of them. There are a
lot of celebration about Enzo Ferrari, but Orazio
Satta is surely better. Because Ferrari was king
inside him house, Satta gave all us pieces of art
being under a statal control, not being free to do
anything he had in mind.
And then there's to consider also another fact: was
the Fiat, noone other, which gave money to the museum,
which seemed to be interested. The same Fiat that
surely understood the feeling around the Alfa Romeo,
especially the historic Alfa (and infact there's in
Arese a very well archive, incidentally born in the
'80s by Ettore Massacesi's idea, surely not from Fiat
ideas). The "remembering" is inside the Alfa Romeo
history, oh, if only you could hear my tapes I
recordered during an interview with Mr. Magro, manager
of the museum, another Ex-IRI employee...... he speaks
about the idea to built the museum, to find parts, how
many employees had in thei desk, after 20 years, still
the 1900's brochures. There was a conservation's
instict in Alfa Romeo, the same that actually seems to
be a bit loosen. Yes, perhaps now there's a too
"amarcord" (Fellini's film, is "I remember") era, but
even if you're not interested in vintage, collecting
and so on so permit to the interested to live his life
and respect him. Damnation to the different language,
if only I could invite some of you here speaking the
same language and saying you all I learned in 15 years
of studying Alfa (Alfa world).... you perhaps would
exit this house with a different point of view about
Italy, Fiat and Alfa Romeo too.... the difficulties to
find also recent spare parts, the laugh of some
sellers... I didn't see, never never, a BMW seller
laughing if you ask something about a BMW 2002 of the
seventies!.

To the english friend who ownes a 164: surely the
actual range is a good range, surely better than the
'96 range, but an Alfa can be and must be something
more and something different. Why? We have examples of
how Alfa was "light years" (anni luce, means "a lot")
in advance.
You tell about the no rust 164, so it's a different
Alfa, not a true Alfa: my '89 75 has no rust, as my
friend's '88 75. As, of course, my other friend's '90
164 (only a spot under the windshield, on the top).
And so? Do you affirm the 75 is the same of the 164? I
have a lot of respect about the 164 (I was buying a
3000 V6 to my father) but please don't make confusion,
these are two different planets. Even if the 164 is
surely "more Alfa" than the 155 and the 145/6. The 164
was, in a wonderful shape, the result of a joint
venture. When FIat and Saab obliged Alfa to convert to
front wheel drive there was a revolution. But then
Alfa (not yet Alfiat) worked on suspension and had a
big result. But, on the 164, you dream the 75's
handling. And the compl. sense of safety. Ok, these
are two different models, but the Alfa 6 was (surely
not in its max. shape) a confortable car with an
excellent handling.
So, please, don't speak about rust to say "no rust, so
a better Alfa". I, as Alfista, look other things. I
learned driving on a Giulia Nuova Super with holes of
rust, but I surely learned driving better than other
on their modern cars without rust. I respect your
point of view, but my opinion is different from your.

Leo