indipendent brands

Before all, thanks for your private and public
compliments, I appreciate very much.

I can understand doubts and fears about making
indipendent the Alfa Romeo brands.

But let we see the past and the actual.

If you see the 1992 m.y. of Fiat brands you can see:
middle size: Fiat Tempra, Lancia Dedra, Alfa 155
top class: FIat Croma, Lancia Thema, Alfa 164

These car were quite similar (especially the middle
size), and the top class were built on a similar base
(Progetto tipo 4, involved Fiat, Lancia, Alfa and
Saab, it started in the 80s).

Actually Alfa Romeo has a different "look": they built
sporting cars, even if sedans, as Lancia built (or
should built) luxury cars and Fiat economic cars. So,
a difference is existing also actually.

But, reading through the lines, with this decision
Fiat understand:

- they are not able to manage three brands under the
same cap;
- they should loose many money and market if they
continue managing three brands under the same cap;
- they tried to built three "brands" under the same
cap with a clear differentiation, but this wasn't a
good way to do.

Do you remember what I said about the fish, the smell
and the head?
Beh, they also seem had understood this. So, even if
Alfa Romeo had a clear freedom (more than Lancia,
surely) it wasn't necessary. I suppose they want to do
as did for Ferrary (never seen a Ferrari with Fiat
Tipo's parts, even if some Ferrari parts are the same
as Alfa 33: but the reason is: it impossible to think
to built little particulars for a car built in limited
edition, an Alfa sedan isn't projected to be done in
few pieces). Noone has doubt that Ferrari was a quite
independent brand. I suppose Alfa Romeo will become a
sort of Ferrari - Maserati inside the group. I saw the
"Corriere della Sera" and there's written
"Fiat/Lancia, Alfa Romeo...... , so FIat Lancia is the
same of actual (as it is since the 70's, the LAncia
Delta was a nothing other than a luxury Ritmo), and
Alfa ROmeo has an higher freedom.

We now have to see if Alfa Romeo will be really free
to use the fiat money if necessary and to build as
indipendent (why not in Arese and Pomigliano?).
I really can't understand all this changes (every
change is equal to loose money). In the middle '80s
there were two factories Arese and Pomigliano, why not
to optimize these factories? Instead than to take away
from Torino the Lancia Y10 line, and to take off the
production of the sedan from Arese to Rivalta (now
Rivalta will close, all the productions of RIvalta
will come to Mirafiori).

In 15 years we saw a lot of "changes", it seems a
chess play (not economic, overall, and tragic for
lovers and exployees). If only Fiat sould give a kick
in the ass of its actual management........

This would be a real freedom.

Leo