Re: alfa-digest V8 #275 - Mini vs Alfa (ftwd vs. rwd)

In a message dated 12/07/2001 1:27:41 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 10:46:15 -0800 (PST)
> From: Tim Mills <tm_002@domain.elided>
> Subject: Mini vs Alfa (ftwd vs. rwd)
>
> Most street Minis are front wheel drive, aren't they?
> I've seen some modified rear wheel racers at SCCA
> events held at mid-Ohio ect...
>
> Depending on driving habits and experience the front
> vs. rear wheel drive factor might make a difference in
> deciding which car to buy.
>
> Don't know about daily driving and practicality, but
> the FIAT/Abarth idea sounds like an interesting one.
>
> Tim

       All Minis are front wheel drive.  The rear drive Minis allowed by SCCA
are an abomination (in my not at all humble opinion) allowed by the GT
Category of the SCCA rule book.  For racing, rear drive is an advantage as
the same tires are not steering and pulling the car.
       Plus there is the reliability factor.  By going to rear drive, the
builders are allowed to use more reliable racing transmissions and other
parts built for racing rather than for mass production.  They are no longer
forced to use the original transaxle that shared its oil supply with the
engine.  However, the rules allow the cars to run in either their original
configuration or in the modified rear drive configuration.  If you look at
the results from the SCCA runoffs as recently shown on SpeedVision, the rear
drive Minis were up front and the front drivers were at mid back at best.
       On the other hand, it may be that the front runners just had better,
more modern equipment.  Remember the old racer's adage, the only substitute
for cubic inches is cubic dollars.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City